The Understory – a program about planting under trees, brought to WHMCA by the City of Calgary Re-tree initiative.
September is not too early to plan for our yards and gardens in the spring!
Join us Wednesday September 28 from 7 to 8:30 in the East Hall of the Community Centre for “The Understory” a program about planting under trees, brought to WHMCA by the City of Calgary Re-tree initiative.
Are you finding it difficult to grow anything under that tree in your backyard? In the Under Story you will learn all about successful ways to plan and create a personalized garden under and around your trees. This program describes a variety of plant species that could be perfect for planting near your tree. We also show you real garden examples of how an understory can evolve over time. After this program you will walk away with a wealth of information that you can apply to ‘sprucing’ up the area around your trees.
The learning objectives of The Understory are:
- What is the understory and why is it important.
- How to plan and create your understory.
- The challenges of creating an understory.
- Design tips for creating the understory.
- The various plants to grow in your understory.
- Shade loving plants.
- Ground covers.
- The difference between mulch and compost.
- The various mulch options and benefits of each.