Join us in the Garden!
Some of the best reasons for community garden membership are familiar to us all:
- Community gardens help beautify urban spaces
- They create natural meeting places
- They create educational opportunities
- They offer spaces for clean food production
But there are endless equally valuable reasons to consider participating in community gardening that might not immediately spring to mind:
- Community gardens create opportunities for forging friendships and making social connections
- They help reduce our carbon footprint given that commercial produce can travel more than a thousand miles from farm to fork
- Participation enhances a sense of belonging in the larger community
- Community gardeners share in a sense of pride and wellbeing that comes with planting, nurturing, and harvesting their own vegetables
- Community gardening has sharing at its heart
While all of the beds in the community garden have been rented for 2017, you can still participate by joining us as a Friend of the Garden. Register as a Friend, and you can help out with special projects, join Wednesday night work parties, and enjoy our social events.
In addition, the community garden is sponsoring a series of talks this summer to which all community members are invited. Tickets are $10 and must be reserved in advance.
SuperGarden Workshops with presenter Janet Melrose from Calgary’s Cottage Gardener:
- June 21st Topic: watering/water conservation, succession planting, weed and pest control
- July 25th Topic: good/bad bugs, smelly stuff, trellises
- August 23rd Topic: seed saving/sharing, when to harvest what
- October 11th Topic: putting your bed to bed
Join the 2018 Community Garden waitlist or register for the garden talks via email: firstname.lastname@example.org